20 August 2009

Book Review: MUST READ!

Title: It's Just Begun: The Epic Journey of DJ Disco Wiz, Hip Hop's First Latino DJ
Author: Ivan Sanchez and Luis "DJ Disco Wiz" Cedeno
Publication Date: June 2009

I had the pleasure of meeting DJ Disco Wiz at a conference held at Cornell University, "Born in the Bronx," on October 31st, 2009. http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/hiphop/conference.html

Without any realization of what I was attending, I quickly realized that I had the unique opportunity to meet the great pioneers of hip-hop, such as
Grandmaster Caz, Grandwizzard Theodore, Popmaster Fabel, Tony Tone, Disco Wiz and Africa Bambaataa. After watching these great legends perform and speak to a diverse audience - I was able to talk with DJ Disco Wiz for a few hours. That night, I talked to him about hip-hop, his background, his struggles, and his tremendous life story. Meanwhile, he didn't hesitate to ask me what I liked about hip-hop and how I felt about Latina/os in hip-hop. He told me he had grandchildren and had been a sous chef. It was hard to believe that this legend of the art form of DJing was a grandpa - he was just that cool and down-to-earth. Half-Cuban, Half-Puerto Rican, Wiz grew up in the Bronx, but now lived in Connecticut with his wife.

This summer, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a copy of his book. Thinking that it was a great gesture of my assistance at the conference, I put the book on my list of summer reads. And now a few months later, this great story of Hip-Hop's first Latino DJ, I read in one night!

The book chronicles Wiz's life, filled with his father's abuse, mother's undying love, street crew antics, set against the tough, rough, South Bronx of the 1970s. Wiz's stories jump off the page with realness and poignancy - you can picture it - you can feel it - the pain and sadness; the triumph and hope. Meanwhile, you feel lucky to have had a glimpse and a window into the birth of hip-hop. It reminds me of Junot Diaz's Drown and Piri Thomas' Down These Mean Streets - beyond just writing the stories, you feel the stories.

I don't want to say too much more about the various obstacles Wiz had to overcome to get to a place where he is a role model, historian, and hip-hop godfather. I will say that this book is a must read for any hip-hop head who wants to learn about the history; for any Latina/o wanting to understand the collective history of our people; for any barrio-born person; for any one who feels lost in their lives and is searching for hope - this book can offer that and so much more for so many people. For me, it made me believe that people can change and turn their lives around; and that Latinas/os are lucky to have DJ Disco Wiz represent por la gente as the first Latino DJ!

Check out the book: http://www.amazon.com/Its-Just-Begun-Journey-Latino/dp/157687494X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

No comments: